Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Put yourself in a cage!

In a cage?? what?  No, i'm not talking about an extreme form of time out.  I'm talking about PLAY.

The other day while talking to a mom whom I truly admire... I was humbled by the extreme PLAY that goes on at her house.  Humbled because it is She who is joining in.. big time!   I tend to think I'm doing  ok if I get in some good make believe time with the kiddos.. a tea party, helping to build a fort, making train and truck sounds.  You know, the usual.  Usual.  Usual holds nothing to playing "Zoo" and pretending to be an animal in a cage!!  Yep, she did it.  Later I was thinking about it.. and I'm not sure I would have been up for it. I don't know if I would have let myself be completely immersed in the play.  I would play "Zoo,"sure, ... but i kind of think I would volunteer to be the zoo keeper.. to maybe sneak some cleaning of my own  while i cleaned the "cages".  

And there lies the problem. "My Own".  Lately I am so focused on: getting things done, what needs to be done, and what isn't getting done that I end up turning "play time with the kids" into  

"My Own time.. with a side of playing.. till I can sneak away and do My Own thing".

 Does this sound at all familiar?  Please tell me I am not the only one!  Oh sure, it is a good tactic.. sometimes.  Just as (in my opinion) so is an occasional TV show to keep the peace in the dinner making hour.  But i think lately, sometimes has become the new Usual.  I guess with moving and having many many things that need to be done.. this is easy to do.  But I am thankful for this reminder to go ahead and get in a cage!  The work will still be there when the zoo closes!  ;)

I am sure this mom friend had no idea what she sparked in my mind... or how much I learn a lot from her- my little sis! :)  I love my sister and I love going through this mothering journey together.  The ups and downs are plentiful.  The frustrations are understood. The laughs are many.

Thanks Meg for taking "Zoo" to the extreme!  Next time, i will get in a cage!  LOL

here's a few pics of our kiddos this summer... it was a Super reunion!
lots of boys and one princess
my sweet sweet nephew, Reid
My older nephew, Alex, with Addie and Garrett playing with SLIME!

so "cool"

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh! You got me there. I am so guilty of starting something with them then sneaking away, answering the phone or whatever else seems more important. Guilty as charged! Why is it so hard?! Good read. And what a great sis/mom friend you have in Meg!

    ReplyDelete